SHS Specialist Homelessness Services: Youth Hostel
What is the Youth Hostel?
The Youth Hostel provides transitional accommodation and a range of related services to support young people who are homeless, or at risk of homelessness to achieve self-reliance and independence.
- Cooking Skills: Basic meal preparation including nutrition, hygiene and shopping on a budget
- Cleaning Skills: House cleaning, washing clothing and working on a cleaning roster with other tenants promoting team work
- Responsible Tenant Skills: Adhering to a tenancy agreement and understanding the consequences of not following tenancy rules
- Community Living Skills: Completing forms, communicating with other services and businesses, accessing supports and attending appointments.
SHS is a program that focuses on supporting, assisting and advocating for young people aged 16 to 25 years of age who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. The program provides young people with information and assistance so they become empowered to make informed decisions, understand processes and achieve their goals.
Youth workers work with young people to resolve crises, re-establish family links where appropriate and strengthen their capacity to live independently through case management support.
The SHS program provides crisis accommodation for up to eight young people aged 16 to 21 years at the Youth Hostel.
This program is funded by Queensland Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services.
“SHS Youth Workers aim to support young people to develop skills, information and opportunities to make informed choices about their future”
Who is eligible?
The SHS Youth Hostel is for young people who are:
- Aged 16-21 years
- Homeless or at risk of homelessness.
How does SHS work with young people?
Young people who are eligible for the SHS program will have access to one-on-one case management. Through case management young people will be supported to identify and attain short and long term goals. All young people will have access to activities and one off programs designed to provide engagement and information, as well as being provided with support to other programs.
SHS is not a Centrelink approved activity.
Interested in SHS Youth Hostel support?
If you are a young person and interested in accessing this program or just have questions, please contact an SHS youth worker.
If you are an organisation and would like to make a referral, you can:
Phone: (07) 4162 7788
Fax: (07) 4162 2783
Address: Youth Park, Lot 2 Somerset Street, Kingaroy QLD 4610
Postal: PO Box 490, Kingaroy QLD 4610